Thursday, November 29, 2012

Into Thin Air Chapter 8 & 9



Chapter 8 beings with the group heading off for their second acclimatization climb from Base Camp to Base One.  Krakauer is starting to feel that is body is becoming more comfortable with the high altitude.  Hall plans for the group to spend two nights  at Camp One, and then spend three nights and Camp Two before making their way back down to Base Camp.  Krakauer makes it to Camp One before the majority of the group does so he helps a Sherpa, Ang Dorje, set up the camp.  Krakauer looks up to Ang Dorje because he has climbed Everest three times.  I feel that Krakauer finds Ang to be a source of inspiration.  I would too if I were struggling to climb the mountain once and the man next to me had climbed it three times before.  In the morning they begin to climb again.  At 21,000 feet Krakauer sees a dead body.  Hall assumes it was a Sherpa that died a number of years ago. I cannot imagine what was going through the groups head when they saw the dead body.  I feel that it would not only make me extremely scared for my own life, but also question what I was doing and if the expedition was worth it. The next two days of climbing were extremely difficult due to the altitude.  Ngawang begins to have trouble walking and becomes very sick.  He also becomes delirious and is coughing up blood.  Caroline Mackenzie, the doctor, and Scott Fischer say he is suffering from high altitude Pulmonary Edema.  Ngawang denies treatment and keeps climbing and eventually is sent to a hospital.
In chapter 9, the group leaves camp two extremely early in the  morning in brutal weather conditions.  They begin to climb in a wind child that goes down to forty degrees below zero.  I would never be able to make it through the cold.  Understandably, Krakauer becomes too cold to climb.  His body becomes numbs and he stops to wait for a guide.  Almost all of the group members have frost bite.  Everyones spirits at the camp are low.  Can you blame them? They are stuck in terrible conditions and have no wear to turn.  No source of heat and barely any source of energy.  Low spirits must have made the trip so much more exhausting.   This also causes them to get in an argument.  Their relationship as a team is starting to crumble.  I feel that this is detrimental to their trip.  To be successful and to live through this they must work together and support each other.  I know this must be so much easier said than done.  Do you think you could go through a trip like this without getting aggravated at the people you were traveling with? (especially in these hard conditions)
                                                                                                                                                                

4 comments:

  1. I agree with Stephanie's summary of both chapters 8 and 9. In chapter 8 Krakauer see's two dead bodies on the trail while they are ascending to camp 2. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be doing an activity that both the two corpses were also doing when they died. It would make me question if trying to summit the mountain was worth it at the possibility that i would give up my life. I also found it interesting that by the second time Krakauer sees a corpse he is already desensitized to death and doesn't think much about it. When Ngawang is suffering high altitude Pulmonary Edema the sherpas and him won't admit that he is sick because then he would be viewed as weak and wouldn't be able to work on Everest as a sherpa anymore. They refuse to bring him down to a lower altitude until he almost dies and of course dies later on as a result of their neglect to properly respond to his needs. You would think the Sherpas would have helped him out medically due to their experience on the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Stephanie's reflection on chapters 8 and 9. To answer Stephanie's question, I really don't think I could go on this long of a trip without getting aggravated with the people I was traveling with. For Example, whenever my family goes away on vacation we always end up arguing at least one of the nights and we've only been together for about 5 days. Whenever I go home from college, my mom and I always seem to get into some disagreements. Its' just such a difference and something I have to get used to. I'm not used to be around someone who reminds me what to do. I live on my own on college. I also 100% agree with Stephanie when she says, "This also causes them to get in an argument. Their relationship as a team is starting to crumble. I feel that this is detrimental to their trip. To be successful and to live through this they must work together and support each other. I know this must be so much easier said than done."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie's evaluation of Chapters 8 and 9, I believe, are very true! For first, we see Krakauer admire another rather than observing the negative qualities of other things. Seeing him appreciate Ang and having somebody to look up to, inspires him to push forward in the journey. It would be alot difficult if I knew I couldn't really trust anyone on the trip, it would be a lot harder of a journey. But Krakauer puts a lot of trust in Ang, which could be risky. As tension begins to rise between the climbers, their relationships, as Stephaine points out, Their relationship as a team is starting to crumble". It is critical for the members of the team to have a solid, good relationship with one in another in order to succeed. I know I, myself, would not endure such a trip since I know my limits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Stephanie's views of the chapters as well! I don't think I would be able to get along with people for that long. I travel out west a lot to go skiing with my family, and when we're cold, tired, and spent days with each other on the mountain, we usually end up bickering. It was hard reading about Krakauer finding a dead body on the mountain. I agree when Steph said, "I feel that it would not only make me extremely scared for my own life, but also question what I was doing and if the expedition was worth it." I I saw a dead body on the mountain, I was be completely discouraged and probably climb back down the mountain. I also thought it was weird when Ngawang denied the treatment for HAPE. I would listen to the doctor if I knew there was something wrong with me.

    ReplyDelete