Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Into Thin Air 15-17

The road down from the summit was a struggle itself for Krakauer. As seen in the last chapter, he couldn't stay up at the summit for too long. Now, in chapter 15, during his assent down from the summit, Krakauer takes note of those passing him. As the others teams struggle, Krakauer faces his own struggles with the little to no visibility along with hurricane like winds. I can't imagine the kind of fear he must of had; not knowing exactly where you were going. But, Krakauer's emotions weren't demonstrated here as much. It was then that he was told that both Weathers and Namba are dead at this point. This shows that, unlike the other chapters, Krakauer is focusing on the feelings the others must feel rather than he, himself, telling us exactly what he is feeling.

In Chapter 16, Kraukauer expresses his shock, guilt, and sorrow over the loss of Andy Harris. To me, at least, it was different to see Kraukauer express his feelings over Andy than the others. In a sense, to Krakauer, it was like seeing a superhero finally fall. He thought whole-heartedly that Harris would be the few to make it. His guilt continues to rise throughout the chapter, expressing his shock when he found the true reason for Harris' demise. Realizing the cold hard truth hits him hard- continuously questioning himself as to how he could make such a critical mistake. To me, this shocked me seeing Krakauer in such a state. I'm so used to seeing him as the underdog, but seeing him suffer to the extent he says, makes me feel sorry for him. I can't imagine how haunting that must be, to always wonder what exactly happened to Harris.

In Chapter 17, Krakauer now flips back to Everest and tells the story of how Hall's last moments was. Though I was confused at first of the change of shift, I realized that this story definitely took a turn. Telling the story of Hall's death, I feel, might of have been a sense of healing for Krakauer. Unlike Harris, there wasn't much he could do for Hall and finding his body at the end gave him cold, hard facts as to how Hall died. I can't imagine watching the two people that Krakauer put faith in crumble, let alone if I imagined watching the important people in my life crumble before me. Can you?

5 comments:

  1. I agree with Jeanine's review of chapters 15-17. I also can't imagine what it's like for Krakauer to be alive when the guides he entrusted to help him achieve the summit are dying slowly around him. It must give you a sense of hopelessness when the people that are there for you aren't surviving. When Harris disappears they never truly know how he died but his ice pick was still lodged into the ice wall so it is assumed he fell to his death. This is very sad for Harris's family and friends because they couldn't even get the closure of how there loved one died. In Chapter 17 Hall is on the radio telling them he is dying and freezing but nobody can save him. When Hall says this i agree with Jeanine that he writes about Halls death in a therapeutic way for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. first comment by alexa's username is by Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with Jeanine's overview of the chapters. This part of the book go a lot more intense for the reader. I was always on edge reading these three chapters because so much was happening. Seeing so many people who you've recently had contact with die before yours eyes must be hard. Krakauer's descend from the summit was a challenge, but it didn't seem as difficult as learning about his friends deaths. Discovering Harris's death was hard. I agree when Jeanine said, "To me, at least, it was different to see Kraukauer express his feelings over Andy than the others. In a sense, to Krakauer, it was like seeing a superhero finally fall." He looked up to Harris and Hall both, so seeing them die was a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I strongly agree with Jeanine's overview of the chapters 15-17. These chapters hold a lot of suspense which I love so reading them what not a pain at all. I found myself constantly wanting to know more and more. Jeanine wrote," As the others teams struggle, Krakauer faces his own struggles with the little to no visibility along with hurricane like winds. I can't imagine the kind of fear he must of had; not knowing exactly where you were going" and I couldn't agree more. Imagine not being able to see 3 feet in front of you? I would be so afraid and I probably would begin to panic but Krakauer kept it cool. Seeing so many people who you recently had a friendship with die in front of your eyes must be tough. I've lived through the passing of my uncle and that was only one person. I can't even imagine seeing him die before my eyes, I would be forever ruined; physically and mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel that Jeanine summarized these three chapters perfectly. The book get more intense with each chapter and keeps the reader wanting to know more. I cant imagine having will to or even wanting to survive knowing that others that I am climbing with are slowly dying around me. I also cant imagine dealing with the guilt that Krakauer felt for the loss of Andy Harris. This must have been extremely emotionally draining which must have made the hike that much harder. While Krakauer may have felt a sense of healing through telling the story of Halls death, I feel that I personally would not be able to speak of it. I know that we would not have this book if Krakauer could not speak about it, but I personally would have been too emotionally scarred to be able to reminisce on such hard times. These few chapters really helped me connect to Krakauer emotionally and made me realize how much of a struggle his climb to the summit of everest truly was.

    ReplyDelete