Saturday, October 20, 2012

Class So Far

     ENG 110 so far has been a great class. I enjoy how we do things besides just always reading. For example, these blogs that each of us participate in are a great way for us to really see what other people are thinking and are a great way for us to interact. Since our society today is so into technology, this is easy homework! I do find it difficult sometimes when it comes down to the reading assignments and the reading load. I usually tend to read things that are from our day today, present time. I don't really enjoy reading things from years ago or things about history. It just doesn't make sense to me. Why read something if its over and done with already? I like to read books that cause humor or books that make you never want to stop reading, almost like mystery books! I find it hard to keep up with all the reading material for this course. Every MWF I find that we have to read at least up to fifty pages and it is hard to manage this with all my other work. Along with reading, we have to blog every night as well. However, it is a four credit class so I am trying my best! I usually like to get my readings and blogging done right away. If we get assigned to read something for homework in class that day, I will try to get it done that night so it isn't a constant weight on my shoulder. If I wanted to change anything about this course or how I am doing, I would say it would be not waiting to the last minute to write my analysis papers. I always find myself the night before sitting in front of the computer freaking out on not knowing what to write or how to even start. If I can manage to write these papers early and in advance, I can let Professor Heaney proof-read them so maybe I can get a better grade in the long run. I can then edit my work based on her comments. As they say, always have a peer edit your work! Overall ENG 110 has been a great course. I always like the group work we do in class and the group work we do in our blogs. I'm never bored because I always have something to do to keep my mind working and my blood flowing! I am interested to see what the other books, stories, essays, and poems we will be reading and what they will be about! How are you guys liking class so far?

4 comments:

  1. English 110 has definitely been the most interesting English class I've had; my literature classes in high school were all about Shakespeare and other topics that didn't really interest me. I actually enjoy the novels we've been reading because they seem more up to date, and some of the plots that occur are still relevant to present day. The amount of reading we have to do each night can be intimidating, but it's easier than I originally thought; the books are usually quick reads. I also like the blogging idea; it's nice to hear what other people in the class have to say, and it's reassuring to hear that some of them have the same thoughts as me. I plan to keep on top of my readings and assignments for the rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed ENG 110 so far this semester. I like that we read novels, short stories, poems, and more on controversial issues. I also like that we can discuss these issues both in class and online. I have found the topics we have discussed extremely interesting. My favorite reading so far was Precious. It is by far my favorite book I have ready for an English class. I have found that even though my workload is heavier in this course than my others, I never have trouble completing the readings and work that is assigned. The assignments help me to better understand the readings. Blogging after every reading, rather than occasionally blogging, helps me to know that I have to fit blogging into my schedule on the days we have class. Although I always read the readings assigned, I do not do as well on the quizzes as I would like to. To overcome this, I will read over my notes before class and make sure I re-read any reading I do not fully understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, I really enjoy ENG 110 and it’s own unique reading styles. One of the best things about this class is having us, the students, have an opinion and being able to say how we feel about something is rare in most classes. Though the reading load is a lot and some stories are harder to interpret than others, overall the class is both challenging and enjoyable. Though my schedule is usually very packed and finding the time to read is difficult, I always push myself to find the time to focus on the readings. Sometimes I’d give up my own personal free time if that meant I’d get my readings done on time. So far, I’ve enjoyed reading Precious the most. Though it was very hard to read at points, overall it really opened my eyes to the harsh truth in the world. Realizing the injustice in the world gives me more of a push to go make a change to it. One of the hardest aspects of this class is management. There is a much to be done throughout the week such as blogging, keeping up with readings, and of course the papers. But I am happy to be getting such a hard workload so that as I advance academically, I won’t feel as overwhelmed. Learning to expand my time management will help me greatly not only in this class, but in my other classes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. English 110 so far has been the most interesting english class i have taken so far in my academic experience. The topics and books we both discuss and read are very relative to modern day society and interesting. It's a lot better to read precious then it would to read some book thats boring and then its impossible to retain my attention for a chapter to read it. The only downside of the course is that there is a lot of reading. You have to be on top of the workload because if you don't read for a night or so its a lot of catching up to do. The use of movies in the course work is also a good idea because it mixes up the ways we can learn as some students are better visual learners than others. It would be nice though to read something that couldn't be found in a women's studies class everyone in a while for example the MLK letter was very appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete