Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Family's Influence


Relationships with our families affect who we grow into ourselves as we get older. Whether they are the ones to catch us when we fall, teach us a lesson, and most of all to teach us who we are on the inside. These authors tell their stories through their experiences with close family relatives

Daniela Gioseffi writes in Bicentennial Anti-Poem for Italian-American Woman about her relationship with her grandmother. Daniela admires the amount of dedication her grandmother and how much sacrificed for the sake of her family, mainly her husband. Nora Marks Dauenhauer also writes about her grandmother in Grandmother Eliza. Nora writes on how her grandmother saved many lives, including her own. While Daniela expresses her appreciation of her grandmother through her sacrifice, Nora writes on her grandmother’s dedication to giving. Nora’s grandmother always pushed herself to be there for others, just like Daniela’s grandmother. Helena Maria Viramontes writes in The Moths about her grandmother, Abuelita, and how their sharing passion for flowers united them. After her death, Helena refers to herself and her grandmother as moths so they could return to the flowers together. Instead of focusing solely on grief, she learns through her grandmother's compassion how to find peace. Their grandmothers use their wisdom to teach their grandchildren the positives in life. 

Vince Gotera writes in Dance of the Letters about his father, who helped improve hid education more than just simply reading to him. Vince stresses the critical point of having his father physically there with him to help him through the reading. Proud to have his father present, he begins to mature himself. Scott Russell Sanders writes in The Inheritance of Tools how his father’s death affects him. Scott writes about the memories of his father and how his time with him built him into the man he is today. Both Scott and Vince write about how the attention from their father affected both of them into maturity.

All these authors have been affected greatly by their family. Have you guys ever been deeply affected by your family?

4 comments:

  1. I agree with Jeanine's first paragraph on how your family affects how you grow into yourselves as you mature through life. This is shown throughout the texts we had to read that were due today. Scott Sanders for example was taught how to do carpentry by his father and how to do it the right way. Now as an adult he still does his work the same as his father taught him and he passed this down to his own children. Then in the three stories about relationships with grandmothers the children are taught how to act as well as how to make sacrifices for your family. For example in Bicentennial Anti-Poem for Italian-American Woman the grandmother scarifies her education for her husband and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jeanine when she said, "Relationships with our families affect who we grow into ourselves as we get older." Parents teach lessons to their children each day, and the way they handle situations as parents will have an impact on the child's decisions in life. My favorite reading was The Inheritance of Tools. I thought it showed just how important family bonding was, and how rewarding family traditions can be. Knowing that a hammer used by my grandfather will be passed down for generations would be an awesome feeling; feeling like your family has a place in this world. I also thought it was cool how the kids enjoyed using tools as well, so they were able to bond together. My family has definitely had an impact on me. It's funny noticing things my parents would say come out of my mouth. Sander's essay also reminded me that my family shares a love for skiing. It brings us together and gives us all something to connect to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that relationships with our families affect who we are as people when we are older. In The Inheritance of Tools, it was really nice to read about such a strong family tradition. In my family we have a tradition of going to the same shore house every summer since we were all young children. Traditions help family members share a strong bond. I have most definitely been deeply effected by my family. I know that when a family member of mine is going through a hard time, I feel their pain. I am there for them as much as I can be and try to be strong for them. I have found that with the support of family, you can overcome almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jeanine and everything she has stated in her reflection. Relationships with our families affect how we grow into ourselves as we get older. I have a strong relationship with my family and I am so very thankful for that. I couldn't imagine it not being that way. It was so nice to finally read about a strong family and their strong traditions. I strongly agree with Jeanine when she says, "Whether they are the ones to catch us when we fall, teach us a lesson, and most of all to teach us who we are on the inside." My family has had such a strong impact on me. It breaks my hurt when I hear about families who don't share that bond. I also agree with Stephanie in her comment when she says, "I have found that with the support of family, you can overcome almost anything."

    ReplyDelete